I 'Googled' the name of the house we are building with Porter Davis and found all these blogs of people in very similar circumstances to us. I thought 'what a great idea! What a fantastic way to keep a record of our progress.' So here is my attempt. We are a family of 6 building a just-right sized house west of Melbourne. Feel free to travel along with us.

About Me

I'm a woman with many interests but very few skills. I'm committed to trying to make the world a better place and one that we can share peacefully. I want people to be respectful thinkers. I have a husband but I don't think that defines me. I also have kids who I love dearly and am so proud of. We have a dog.

Thursday 23 October 2008

Contract Signed

17.10.2008 The contract has been signed and it seems it's all systems go. We must have been a bit more thorough with our contract appointment than expected because it went for over 5 hours! I think our host had to reassign other appointments for the day and I'm not sure if she got lunch.... At least we know most things have been sorted out and clarified to our satisfaction, although we're sure we've still missed a few things. There is so much to think about! It seems we had forgotten to include carpet in one room, and concrete which we had been told was included is now not included... go figure!

3 comments:

THE HOLIDAY GANG said...

Hi Mandy
Good to see a blog for another Rowland. As you may recall, we are building the 41 and have had issues with the stairs. We note from your post on our blog that you had quite a time finalising the stairs in your contract. If not too nosey, would you mind telling us what you ended up with and what the cost breakdown was for you stair components?
Good luck with your blog - we will keep an eye on it.

NoShitSherlock said...

Hi Glenn and Vicki,
Our contract states 'provide stain grade treads and painted risers (excluding bullnose treads) to the whole of stairwell in lieu of standard paint grade'...then 'provide stain grade bullnose tread(s) and risers in lieu of standard paint grade'...'provide stain grade handrail and bottom rail in lieu of standard paint grade'....'provide stain grade posts in lieu of standard paint grade' (this is what I then queried)....'provide vertical stainless steel 12mm balusters to the whole of the stairwell, in lieu of standard pine balusters'.

All this totalled $4558.

Then, for an extra $1860 (!!!) our post contract variation states 'provide vertical stainless steel posts and balustrades to whole of staircase including first floor in lieu of plaster dwarf wall with timber finish top in lieu of previous. Note: Posts and balustrades as per Ponsford Marina 42 display.'

As we haven't started building yet, I don't know what we will actually end up with, but it sounds like they've got it right. I hope this helps.

THE HOLIDAY GANG said...

Thanks so much Mandy - that is great. We will find out tomorrow exactly how PD will be trying to argue their way out of this.
Just a note for you to be aware of - if you are wanting your top rail and base plates stained, make sure you double check this. Our contract states that they will provide stained finish but they have only stained the top rail and have painted the base plate.
I know this is hard for PD as well given the large number of variations possible but like you, I know what we ordered!
We let you know how it goes but it would be worthwhile for you to let your administrator know exactly how you expect each part of the stairwell to turn out.
Thanks again