I 'Googled' the name of the house we are building with Porter Davis and found all these blogs of people in very similar circumstances to us. I thought 'what a great idea! What a fantastic way to keep a record of our progress.' So here is my attempt. We are a family of 6 building a just-right sized house west of Melbourne. Feel free to travel along with us.

About Me

I'm a woman with many interests but very few skills. I'm committed to trying to make the world a better place and one that we can share peacefully. I want people to be respectful thinkers. I have a husband but I don't think that defines me. I also have kids who I love dearly and am so proud of. We have a dog.

Tuesday 31 March 2009

Mmmmmm.....Fudge!

Well, we have discovered a way to break in to our locked-up house. Very sneaky....we visited the men installing the cabinets today and yesterday...told them we were 'just measuring up for a few things around the place'....snuck into the study and opened a window just a tiny bit...go home...come back later when they've all gone....insert hand and wind window out all the way....send skinny six year old in through window to open door...voila!! Make sure window is closed properly when we leave.. Brilliant!!

I am waaaayy excited about my cabinets! I have chosen 'Fudge Stream' for just about everything - I love it! I am a bit unsure about the overhead cabinets in the kitchen, though. I have gone for a very light, neutral colour ('Moleskin') which I think looks great, but I'm worried about how it will look with the 'Kid Leather' walls. I hope they complement each other okay. Time will tell, but for now I am extremely happy with my choices. I will let the pictures speak for themselves and I apologise for the blurry ones ( couldn't stand still long enough to focus..lol).


Looking into kitchen from rear.


Other side of kitchen (love my handles!!).

Laundry trough.

Laundry bench and drawers (bench top - 'Stipple Seal').

Powder room.

Upstairs bathroom.

Now this one's tricky. We asked for a 'shaver cabinet' in the ensuite. We thought this would be fairly straight-forward, but apparently not! Porter Davis found it very difficult to draw up and price, and then the installers today said they had never seen one before...?? We were also charged $80 after much deliberation to have magnetic catches put on the doors, but guess what?? No catches!! I know it will be nice to not have to bend down to get the toothpaste, deodorant etc... but I am a bit concerned about how it all looks. Hopefully it will come together a bit better once the mirrors are in... (I'm still lovin' that Fudge!!)

4 comments:

BelleBeau said...

How weird, never heard of a shaver cabinet????

Love your fudge, looks really good in the photos and those handles are way cool. I did not see them at Hopetoun!

Lucky you having a skinny 6 year old. For the first time tonight, our house was actually really locked up. Bugger! Lucky I have a magic wand.

Looks like you might be winning atm, are they doing your doors yet?

Cheers
J

NoShitSherlock said...

Thanks J,

I'm thinking my Fudge looks kinda tame compared to all your bright colours, but don't worry, I fully intend to add heaps of colour later!

Yes, our architraves and doors were done last week - I must add that into the timeline..I can't wait to get back down there to see what happens next.

Magic wand huh?? I need to hear more...

K AND T said...

Yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love that Fudge too.
Gorgeous!
It's all exciting, but this stage of the build is REALLY exciting, seeing how all the colours and selections come to life. You've done well. ;-)

NoShitSherlock said...

Thanks K & T,

Yep, this is a very exciting time - I keep making up excuses to go and have another look! I bet you can't wait to see your colours come together. It won't be too far away.