I 'Googled' the name of the house we are building with Porter Davis and found all these blogs of people in very similar circumstances to us. I thought 'what a great idea! What a fantastic way to keep a record of our progress.' So here is my attempt. We are a family of 6 building a just-right sized house west of Melbourne. Feel free to travel along with us.

About Me

I'm a woman with many interests but very few skills. I'm committed to trying to make the world a better place and one that we can share peacefully. I want people to be respectful thinkers. I have a husband but I don't think that defines me. I also have kids who I love dearly and am so proud of. We have a dog.

Monday 18 May 2009

Tiles and Splashback.

Well, the tiles are almost finished in the house now, and I'm pretty happy with them. A lot of them are just basic white tiles and they look a bit blah at the moment, but I'm confident they'll look a lot better with grout! I'm lovin' my floor tiles! I can't wait to get out of this house and say good-bye to shiny white floor tiles forever!!!

The glass splashback was also installed today and I'm actually quite disappointed. The colour is nothing like my colour sample and not much like the colour I downloaded from the Dulux website. I know you can't trust colours from the web, due to resolution and monitors etc... but the colour I chose is quite clearly purple and the splashback just looks blue. Not happy. SS checked the order and insists they have used the right colour, but I'm determined to meet him at the house and let him see the difference. I've been told that the glass has a greenish tinge that can affect some lighter colours, but I was assured it wouldn't affect a dark colour such as the one I picked.


Dulux 'Fanfare' from website

Dulux 'Fanfare' splashback


Am I just being picky? It looks blue to me, almost black.

Lol - hopefully my tiles and stairs will not always be that grubby...



Ensuite niche - I just wanted a small feature - but now I realise it will just be covered up with shampoo and conditioner bottles!

10 comments:

BelleBeau said...

LOL, "covered up with shampoo and conditioner bottles" We did the same!! our feature tiles in the bathroom are just in the niche. We did not realise it either. Oh, well, they still look really good.

I can understand your frustration with the splashback. Ours is not the same shade that the paint sample was. We took it to hopetoun and put green glass over it and you could not tell the difference. BUT it has come up much darker on the glass than the paint sample I have. I was told that I am now looking at it against the antique white of the cupboards and the white of the benchtop so it takes on a different hue with those colours surrounding it as well. Perhaps that is the case with this as well? You might be able to bring out the purple with some purple jars etc on your benchtop, I am sure it will look different once your things are in the kitchen too.

Still, it is all looking great. I really love the look of your stairs, exotic night is yum. Our tiles were grouted yesterday, so we are nuck and neck!
Do you have a PCI yet??? I am getting so worried about getting out by July. Fingers crossed for both of us.

Cheers
J

R&C's Brookvale 45 Home said...

Mandy, the place is looking really good. Nice choices of colours too and the stairs look great. Watch out for the damage to the tread from heavy footed traddies, we have found lots of marks after they have been cleaned. R&C

K AND T said...

Hi Mandy,
It is all looking great. Yes, the splashback looks different to your sample, but it still looks great. And I love your basic white tiles in the ensuite!!! I don't think they're blah at all, more " understated elegance..." And yes I am having them as well....by choice! Just put your shampoo on the shower floor if you want to get maximum enjoyment from your feature tiles! ;-)
Getting close now....surely you'll have word on your PCI date soon,
K.

NoShitSherlock said...

Hi guys, it's always so nice when you comment on my posts!!

I have been scouring the shelves at Coles for shampoo and conditioner in colours that will match my tiles - I don't care if they're for balding men with greasy skin and excessive dandruff, as long as the colours are nice. Lol. K & T you are right about the 'understated elegance' - the white tiles are all grouted now and they do look very nice and I think I will be able to finish the room off nicely with any colour towels.

I keep going back and looking at the splashback and, no matter which way I look at it, it is not the colour I thought I was getting - so I will be taking the matter further. Wish me luck....

Thanks for the tip re. the stairs, R&C, I will make sure I take notice of them during PCI (which, just quietly, looks like being June 12 - yayyy!!!)

Mandy

BelleBeau said...

Mandy!!! "balding men with greasy skin and excessive dandruff" LOL.
I just about fell off my chair from laughing so hard!!

You really brightened my day.

Cheers
J

NoShitSherlock said...

Glad I could help, J :)

K AND T said...

Hi again Mandy,
Nah, Selsun Bliue won't tie in with your colours at all!!!!
What about some of those China/Ceramic type dispensers, the ones that are normally used for liquid soap....from places like Spotlight or Bed'n'Bath table?
Just a thought for you! :-)
Have a good weekend,
K.

NoShitSherlock said...

Great idea K! I will take that on board. Just something else I have to shop for to make my new house perfect..Don't you just love it??!!

BelleBeau said...

Hi Mandy, any work at your place this week? Our PCI is set for the 11th, is yours still on for the 12th?

Cheers
J

NoShitSherlock said...

Hi J,
Yes, plenty has been happening this week and PCI set for the 12th. Lol - looks like you're gonna pip me by a day!! I have so much to tell.....I'll go and do another post...