I 'Googled' the name of the house we are building with Porter Davis and found all these blogs of people in very similar circumstances to us. I thought 'what a great idea! What a fantastic way to keep a record of our progress.' So here is my attempt. We are a family of 6 building a just-right sized house west of Melbourne. Feel free to travel along with us.

About Me

I'm a woman with many interests but very few skills. I'm committed to trying to make the world a better place and one that we can share peacefully. I want people to be respectful thinkers. I have a husband but I don't think that defines me. I also have kids who I love dearly and am so proud of. We have a dog.

Friday 12 June 2009

Pretty Casual Inspection


We met SS at the house today for our long-awaited Practical Completion Inspection (PCI). I had on hand our contract, drawings, colour selections, tile selections, building variations, camera, tape measure and a roll of toilet paper (just in case we were there for a long time...) The only thing I used was the tape measure - to measure up where I'm gonna put my towel rails and kitchen bin! So, sorry, no pics...

It was just such a laid back, relaxed inspection that I thoroughly enjoyed walking through what is soon to be our new home and imagining ourselves living there.

Everything was done before we got there. The independent inspector had pointed out everything we were concerned about and more. Apparently, the meter box is 2mm off level (of course I could see that, but I didn't think anyone else would notice - lol) There were little pink, green and yellow stickers all over the place, but all very minor plaster and paint variations. The painter was already there working on those.

Of course, the splashback is yet to be replaced, but SS was very interested to see my little glass samples. He's convinced now that 'Crystal' have mixed the wrong colour, and that his boss is colour-blind for not being able to tell the difference between purple and blue!

While we were there, the inspector came to look over the place for the Certificate of Occupancy. I think he may have been there for a maximum 5 minutes, before he walked out declaring that 'everything looks pretty good'.

We were done after about 45 minutes. As I was expecting a longer inspection, I had a bit of time on my hands so I went to Bunnings and promptly spent about $300! All-in-all a pretty productive day. Now I must go and pack some more boxes and try and keep myself busy for the eternally long 7 days ahead.

6 comments:

Relle said...

Oh Mandy, how lucky are you. Can I have one of those inspections they sound great!
It should be smooth sailing from now and you'll be celebrating in your new home in no time.
Just in time for school holidays as well, you couldn't have planned it better.
Hope the next seven days don't drag too much.
Relle

K AND T said...

Yay Mandy!
Gotta be happy with caual...sure beats stressful or devastating!
Love how you packed the toilet paper! ;-)
Did your Independent Inspector do an inspection without you? Who do you use?
Happy packing! I'm sure there will be more excitement than nerves at your place this week...like a kid waiting for Christmas. How exciting, so pleased for you!
Best wishes,
K.

NoShitSherlock said...

Relle, I have to agree, the timing has been perfect for everything. We nearly put our house on the market back in October but decided against it and put it on in January. So the sale came at a perfect time. We can move into our new house and have two weeks to clean up the old house (not that I will be terribly keen to return to the old house to clean!!!) I work at the kids' school so I get the school holidays off as well (perfect) and I'm also studying part time and my last exam will be the Monday after handover (a week earlier would've been absolutely perfect, but it's pretty perfect). Oh, and interest rates dropped down to almost nothing just as we had two mortgages to cope with (perfect). Somebody up there must like me at the moment, I'm waiting for it all to come crashing down though.....
K&T, we didn't use our own inspector - I just meant the 'Independent' quality inspector that PD use - we might live to regret it later, but he really seems to have picked up everything and we're happy with that.
Thank you both for your best wishes.

BelleBeau said...

Wow Mandy, that is great! How much of a relief is it when it is over! Congratulations, really gald that everything went so well for you. I can so relate, as I left my glasses at home I was so nervous LOL.

Good luck for hand over next Friday. Hopefully we will have had ours on the Thursday and we will be too busy laying floors to blog and wish you good luck then.

Cheers
J

NoShitSherlock said...

Same to you J, just four more sleeps for you! I think we will both be pretty busy over the next few weeks - I don't even know if I'll have internet access. So best of luck to you as well, and it has been a pleasure sharing our builds!

BelleBeau said...

Hey Mandy,

Just thought I would pop in and say "good luck" for Friday. If I have a spare five seconds in the madness of handover/moving/connections/carpet etc, I will certainly be thinking of you and hoping things go well.

Seriously good luck, it has been great to share our builds and I wish you and your family much joy and happiness in your new home!

Cheers
J