I 'Googled' the name of the house we are building with Porter Davis and found all these blogs of people in very similar circumstances to us. I thought 'what a great idea! What a fantastic way to keep a record of our progress.' So here is my attempt. We are a family of 6 building a just-right sized house west of Melbourne. Feel free to travel along with us.

About Me

I'm a woman with many interests but very few skills. I'm committed to trying to make the world a better place and one that we can share peacefully. I want people to be respectful thinkers. I have a husband but I don't think that defines me. I also have kids who I love dearly and am so proud of. We have a dog.

Tuesday 2 June 2009

Conflict resolved?

Thank-you to all of you for your invaluable advice regarding my 'splashback issue'. PD came back to me today with a very reasonable price of $340 for them to replace my splashback with the upgraded 'Starfire' glass. Unfortunately it won't be done until after handover, so I will just have to trust them on this one..... I've been to see the local guy here who does splashbacks, and he gave me some off-cuts of the two kinds of glass. I'm going to get a sample pot of my paint tomorrow to see if it really does make such a big difference (purely for my own peace of mind).

On a much lighter note - my front garage door was put in today and I have to say I love it!! I think it really finishes the front off beautifully and I'm so glad we upgraded to it. We just need to get the right colour on the portico render and it will be perfect! (I hope....lol.)

The plumbers have been in and we now have taps and two out of three toilets. The powder room toilet is missing for some reason. I hope they haven't forgotten it! I would hate to have my new guests squatting over that little hole in the concrete.....he he he. There was also a little 'surprise' for me in the ensuite loo - looks like the ol' port-a-loo just doesn't cut it for the tradies these days - I wouldn't mind so much if they just remembered to flush!!! Unbelievable. Okay, that's enough potty talk for now.

The cleaner was there today, giving the place a bit of a spruce up. I asked her if she could come over every week for the next 12 months or so, but unfortunately she thinks she lives too far away. Bugger.

Here's some pics....


My new garage door - unfortunately it was very overcast today, so the picture's not so great.

Last-minute stairwell lights - so glad I thought of these before it was too late.


Whoops! Wrong spot!

Internal door handles.


The only fan-lights that PD could offer us - now hidden in the kids' bedrooms.

Fan-lights that I later asked the electricians to put in for me - which do you prefer?

Bath taps.


Toilet - noice.

Pin levers to ensuite.

Shower rose - I was so worried that it wasn't going to have a soap dish included. Phew!


Huge powder room tap/hose thingy! Hope it doesn't miss the bowl!

New pantry appliance bench - once again in 'Fudge Stream'.

Kitchen flick-mixer.

8 comments:

would be home said...

i just love the feature wall colour in the bedroom (the one with new chrome finish fan). The garage door looks awesome too. and my my, your pantry is huge, I wish i could have that. house coming along really well. Do keep us updated with the conclusion you get by painting sample glass for splashback.
Cheers
K

NoShitSherlock said...

Thanks K,
I think we have similar tastes, 'cos I absolutely love your splashback colour - I think it looks fantastic. Still haven't got the sample pot yet, will keep you posted.

Hels said...

You're right, the garage door looks fabulous and really does make the front of the house look stunning!

Where did you get the ceiling fans with lights, the stainless steel ones?

~ Hels ~

BelleBeau said...

So glad that PD came to the party and were reasonable about it. With kids, you live so much in the kitchen that you have to be happy about it. A sample pot is the best way to make sure, great idea.

Are you feeling any better about your basins? Garage door looks great and really completes the look of the facade.

Yes, our toilets have been "christened" too. Can't blame the tradies really though as I reckon you can smell the portaloo as soon as you turn into our street LOL.

Really getting exciting, did you get your offical handover letter yet?? Ours arrived today.

Cheers
J

NoShitSherlock said...

Oh J, you're always just that one step ahead, aren't you?? Noooo I don't have an official handover letter yet!!! But you must be so excited!
Hels, the 'Futura' fans are from Beacon Lighting.

Relle said...

Well done Mandy, that price for the splashback is great! Hope it turns out how you want it.

The fan/light you got looks so much better than the one by PD. Was it just a matter of asking the electricians if they'd connect the fan or was there more to it?

Such a relief when you see the things you've picked come together and look how you'd hope.

Not far to go now.
Relle

NoShitSherlock said...

Hi Relle,
The fans were a drama right from the very start. All we asked was that PD get the electricians to wire it up for fan lights and we will buy our own, but PD wouldn't allow it. It was only because our fantastic SS gave me the electrician's number that I was able to get them to put in our fans - unfortunately we had already paid for the not-so-nice ones which is why they are now in the kids' bedrooms. Maybe one day, if we ever save any money again, I can replace them...... sigh....

Relle said...

Thanks Mandy, we have asked for Pd electricians to put in wiring for a ceiling fan in our bedroom and will get the fan ourselves. Maybe it's worth asking if they will put it in?
Hope everything is moving along at your place, looking forward to hearing how it's all going.
Relle