I 'Googled' the name of the house we are building with Porter Davis and found all these blogs of people in very similar circumstances to us. I thought 'what a great idea! What a fantastic way to keep a record of our progress.' So here is my attempt. We are a family of 6 building a just-right sized house west of Melbourne. Feel free to travel along with us.

About Me

I'm a woman with many interests but very few skills. I'm committed to trying to make the world a better place and one that we can share peacefully. I want people to be respectful thinkers. I have a husband but I don't think that defines me. I also have kids who I love dearly and am so proud of. We have a dog.

Wednesday 10 June 2009

Time stands still.

It is honestly true!! Time has actually stood still! Well, at least that's how it's feeling at the moment. Haven't been able to get into the house lately, but in just two sleeps we'll have our official 'Practical Completion Inspection' and I'll be able to see the 'practically complete' house in all its glory.

The mystery of the missing loo has been solved. Apparently it was off-centre so they had to take it and a few tiles out and redo it all. This meant the independent inspection which was due to take place on Friday, was put back 'til Tuesday. Now DH and brother-in-law were busy putting up the new fence on Tuesday and didn't see any inspector, so I can only hope that it was done today. Someone has definitely been in though, 'cos the little sticky notes have reappeared all over the place. Obviously things that need to be tidied up.

We've been informed that the rear roller door for the garage was never ordered so there will be a 'slight delay' for that. SS is amazed that they use two different suppliers for the two different doors - not his fault, he wasn't there at the time. It's going to be very difficult to move if we can't store all those boxes securely in the garage for a while. Luckily, we have our present house until July 3 so it doesn't all need to be moved in one day.

Our carpet is in and looking pretty good, as all new carpet usually does. The colour is 'Brown Earth', but it looks pretty grey to me. I'm very happy with it anyway. It seems to blend in well with the rest of the colours.

You may be interested to know that I have painted my two glass samples, and both look surprisingly similar and pleasantly purple, without a hint of blue! I will make sure I take these to SS. I still have to get in and put them up against the splashback to see the difference the shadows of the cabinets make, but I am now 95% certain that the wrong colour was mixed for my splashback!!!

I have been very busy over this last week trying to organise everything else that goes with building a new house. I've ordered the TV antenna, booked in to have the phone disconnected/reconnected, booked the concretor and the moving van. Unfortunately, my 'blind' man has reneged on me and tells me his supplier has gone into liquidation. So my second choice for window furnishings has been called, and she's livin' it up in Queensland! Looks like it'll be sheets on the windows for a while.....(OMG is there anything worse??!!!) I will look into those temporary blind thingies, if I have any spare change...Lol!

So it's off to bed now - get another sleep out of the way. J, if you're reading this, good luck with your PCI tomorrow - hope it all goes extremely well and I look forward to hearing the results.

Now for a few pics...


DH and BIL working on the new fence. Had the back and one side done in two days (and only got a little bit wet) The other side will have to wait until the neighbour gets his brick garage up at the back - it will be part of the boundary.

Perfect combination - 6 year old boy and a pile of bricks....

View of backyard - shed and pool to come later (if the bank says it's okay).


Nice high fence.


What I could get of the carpet through the lounge window.

You can sorta see how the carpet blends with the tiles. Quite happy with this.

8 comments:

BelleBeau said...

WOW Mandy, it all looks gorgeous!! How frustrating is it not being able to get in? I was going to do a drive by on the way home from work today but decided to wait until tomorrow when we have the "official PCI" as if the plasterers have not been back I will be so disappointed.

Yes, We have also been busy trying to organise everything to get delivered/installed/connected, it's amazing the amount of organisation that needs to happen.

Thanks for thinking of me, I am pretty nervous that they are going to find something major that means handover needs to be pushed back and then I will need to reschedule the carpets/wardrobes/floors etc. I am sure you will feel the same tomorrow night! Waiting for your next update, which I hope is a successful PCI.

Cheers
J

PS Is your DH a fencer by trade? That fence looks pretty good and my fencers have stood me up for quotes.

would be home said...

Hey Mandy
your Rowland looks amazing and I am impressed by the size of your backyard. It kinda looks kewl :-)
the nice high fence will definitely pay with lots of privacy.
Heres hoping that your SS manages to get everything in place befor PCI. I reckon they will be able to as they generally work at amazing pace at the end.
So, good luck with that

K AND T said...

Wow, great backyard Mandy! How big is your block?
Lovely carpet, looks great with your tiles and "Fudge"!
Fantastic that your painting endeavours have paid off with the splashback looking a little more purple. If they have indeed used the wrong colour to begin with then I would think it would have to changed for you free of charge.
Best wishes for PCI tomorrow, hope it goes well.
K.

NoShitSherlock said...

Hi everyone.

DH is not a fencer, but BIL is. DH took some time off work to help BIL (and hopefully save a bit of money..)I'm pleased to say that between them, the fence has turned out pretty good.
The block is 935square metres. I've always believed you need a bit of space for the kids to run around, which is why we chose to build a double-storey home. We should have plenty of room for the shed and a pool, and leave a good amount of 'run-around' space for the kids. I just wish there were some trees to climb :(
I agree with you K, the splashback should be replaced - and I don't think PD should be held responsible either - I think it should fall into the hands of the supplier.

Well, I am off to get that last sleep out of the way!

BelleBeau said...

Just popped in to say "Good luck" for tomorrow Mandy. Will be thinking of you. Fingers Crossed that it will just be minor things.

Cheers
J

K AND T said...

Ditto to what J said Mandy - all the best for your PCI today. How exciting!
K.

Relle said...

Hi Mandy, sounds like you're going to be pretty busy over the next few weeks, getting everything organised.
The carpet looks great from what I can see, a good match for the floor tiles.
Your backyard looks huge!! Plenty of room for a pool, the kids will have a ball with so much space. It looks fairly flat as well which is something we wont have. The area looks very useable, how lucky you are.
Shame about the blinds! I've been looking into blinds myself and have taken someones advice to look at blinds online. They look pretty good so we will probably get most of our window furnishings through them.
Good you've got a bit of time up your sleeves in relation to your current house. Especially considering you're not going to have a rear garage door for a while.
Good luck with your PCI.
Relle.

NoShitSherlock said...

Thanks everyone! PCI went very well. We have been blessed with a very good group of tradespeople on this house.