I 'Googled' the name of the house we are building with Porter Davis and found all these blogs of people in very similar circumstances to us. I thought 'what a great idea! What a fantastic way to keep a record of our progress.' So here is my attempt. We are a family of 6 building a just-right sized house west of Melbourne. Feel free to travel along with us.

About Me

I'm a woman with many interests but very few skills. I'm committed to trying to make the world a better place and one that we can share peacefully. I want people to be respectful thinkers. I have a husband but I don't think that defines me. I also have kids who I love dearly and am so proud of. We have a dog.

Monday 2 February 2009

Minor update







Things are still moving on nicely, considering the extreme heat we have been experiencing. We were notified that we had a day's delay due to heat, but that was before the heatwave and our roofers were there on both 44 degree days! Unfortunately, I was too late with the beers so they missed out.
So, the roof is complete, except for the alfresco and garage, which will be done later. The bricks arrived this morning - Boral Mocha - and they seem to be right??

We snuck in over the weekend and climbed the ladder to have a peek at the top floor. It was so exciting for the kids to see their rooms starting to take shape. It's also starting to feel like a house and I think we will have plenty of room! I think I should comment now on how neat and tidy the builders left the site. All the rubbish had been removed and any leftover materials very neatly stacked up. Very impressive!!

We met our building supervisor (T) and he has already been very helpful. Anything we have asked has been no problem at all. My major concern was that we hadn't included enough power points and lights etc. for downstairs. My brother-in-law is an electrician and he can do anything we missed upstairs, but he told us that access will be limited on the ground floor and to get as much done as possible. Of course, after contract PD simply refused any extras, but T has given us the number of the electrician and we will deal directly with them. Such a relief!

So now we just sit and wait for the plumbers and the brickies...... stay tuned.

4 comments:

R&C's Brookvale 45 Home said...

Starting to come along really well. The bricking phase is the time it will really start to take shape and look like a home. What a great SS you have letting you have your own electrician. R&C

BelleBeau said...

Good to hear that things are still moving along for you, I did not expect much because of the heat either. I don't think many of us did.
Sounds like you have a great SS who is prepared to be reasonable.
Looking forward to seeing brick photos!
Cheers
J

THE HOLIDAY GANG said...

Hi Mandy
House is starting to take that familiar Rowland shape isn't it. Have to say I love those bricks and cannot wait to see them in place. Do I note eaves all around the top floor?

THe kids certainly love their rooms don't they and they get so excited about them. I love that part.

Good to see the tradies in the West don't mind the heat. The heat put us back a week - funny though how there was no one there for most of yesterday and all of today!! I think it was just an excuse. Never mind, not ready to move in yet anyway.
Hope your building supervisor continues to be so good - they can make or break the job.

Keep those updates coming.....

NoShitSherlock said...

Hi all. I just found out that a local guy we know has got the bricklaying job, so I will certainly be keeping an eye on him! Lol!

No, the eaves are only at the front unfortunately. It was something that we said we could definitely not do without, until we saw the price!! With everything else we had to pay for, something had to go - it was either that, the Colorbond roof or the brick upgrade - difficult decision... :( Those bricks had better be worth it..